The 1848 Buildings Book describes the Government Smithy as "a new stone building… with forge fitted with 2 forge blocks 2 pair of bellows, 2 anvils, swaging block and a portable forge. There is a bench with drawer etc." Many of the original 1840s features and fittings remain and these are complemented by our large selection of smithy and carpentry tools and equipment.
A plaque marking the beginning of the Dockyard project was unveiled by HRH the Duke of Kent in this building in November 2012.
Falkland Islands Museum & National Trust
The historic heart of Stanley